LGLA hosted the 2012 Elected Officials Seminars following the November 2011 BC local government elections. These seminars were designed for both new and returning elected officials and their senior staff.
2012 EOS Seminar Dates/Locations:
SILGA: January 18 – 20, 2012, Kelowna
AVICC: January 24 – 26, 2012 (Group 1), Parksville & January 25 – 27, 2012 (Group 2), Parksville*
EA Directors: February 8 – 10, 2012, Richmond
AKBLG: February 15 – 17, 2012, Nelson
Large Communities (>10,000): February 22 – 24, 2012, Richmond
NCLGA: February 28 – March 1, 2012, Prince George
Small Communities (<10,000): January 11 – 13, 2012, Richmond
* The only difference between Groups 1 and 2 was the dates of the sessions. Both sessions covered the same content and were open to new and returning elected officials. LGLA limits the size of its seminars to maximize group interaction; thus there are generally two sessions on Vancouver Island.
Attendance at the 2012 EOS qualifies towards a Level 1 Certificate in Local Government Leadership.
EOS Program Materials
Selected Presentations From the 2012 Elected Officials Seminars
We thank these presenters for making their presentation available:
Leadership Keynote Addresses
Roles and Responsibilities
Local Government Law
- Newly Elected – Local Government Law – Barry Williamson, Young Anderson
- Local Government Law for NEO – Don Lidstone, Lidstone & Co.
- The Top “15” Things Every Elected Official Should Know – Sandra Carter & Pam Jefcoat, Valkyrie Law Group
- Local Government Law for NEO – Kathryn Stuart, Stewart McDannold Stuart
- NEO: Local Government Law – Sam Dabner, Fulton & Co.
- Making the Most of Your Media Relations – Jan Enns
- Communicating and the Media – Kevin Brown
- Communicating and the Media – Jeremy Dunn & Laura Balance
Municipalities and Regional Districts
- For Councils – Ministry of Community, Sport and Cultural Development for LGLA
- For Electoral Area Directors – Ministry of Community, Sport and Cultural Development for LGLA
Partnership and Collaboration
Financial Management I – the Basics
- Government Finance Officers & MCSDD for LGLA
- Part 1:Regional District Budget and Financial Management – Gerry Kingston & George Murray
- Part 2:Regional District Budget and Financial Management – Gerry Kingston & George Murray
- Part 3:Regional District Budget and Financial Management – Gerry Kingston & George Murray
- Local Government Financial Management – Douglas Holmes
Financial Management II
- Planning for Successful Community Engagement in 10 Easy Steps – Jan Enns
- Citizen Engagement – Cam McAlpine
- Citizen Engagement – Ted Townsend
- Conduct of Local Elected Officials – Bill Buholzer, Young Anderson
- Local Government Elected Officials: Conflict of Interest – Sandra Carter & Pam Jefcoat, Valkyrie Law Group
- Local Government Law for Elected Officials – Don Lidstone, Lidstone & Co.
- Ethical Conduct of Council Members – Christine Reed, Young Anderson
- Conflict of Interest, Confidentiality and Liability – Peter Johnson/ Colin Stewart, Stewart McDannold Stuart
- Making Meetings Work – Meeting Procedures 101 – Stephen Fleming
- Death by Powerpoint – Making Meetings Work – Don Schaffer
- Making Meetings Work – Chris Plagnol
Municipal Insurance and Risk Management
First Nations and Local Government