THE LOCAL GOVERNMENT LEADERSHIP ACADEMY (LGLA) supports and promotes education and training for local government and First Nations elected officials and senior administrators throughout the Province of British Columbia.
The LGLA Certificate Program is designed to support and encourage elected officials to enhance their leadership skills and knowledge. This Certificate Program is limited to elected officials only.
Elected officials who would like to qualify for a certificate are required to document their learning activities and to submit a record of the courses that they have attended using the LGLA Certificate Application Form. Applications can then be submitted to email@example.com.
CATHY WATSON was a long-serving employee of the Ministry of Community, Sport and Cultural Development and was one of the original, founding members of the Local Government Leadership Academy. She was a dedicated proponent of local government and First Nations relations, education and leadership training and made many lasting contributions in this area. Sadly, Cathy passed away in May of 2015.
The Cathy Watson Memorial Award is established in her honour to enable participation in the annual LGLA Leadership Forum and Elected Officials Seminar Series by local government or First Nations elected officials who might otherwise be unable to attend.
The award is available to one applicant per Leadership Forum or Elected Officials Seminar who demonstrates financial need and an interest in developing their leadership capacity. (Please note: a total of five awards, one per region, will be given out in Elected Officials Seminar Series years.)
Applicants must submit a letter of not more than 500 words explaining their interest in attending the Elected Officials Seminar and their desire to improve their leadership capabilities. Applicants must also indicate the value of their attendance to their council or board and to their community at large, and must demonstrate financial need.
Letters should be addressed to the LGLA President and be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications to attend a Leadership Forum must be received by October 15. Applications to attend a regional Elected Officials Seminar must be received by November 15.
Primary evaluation criteria include the following:
- Applicant must be a BC local government or First Nations elected official;
- Applicant must demonstrate an interest in developing their leadership capacity;
- Applicant must explain how their participation will benefit their local board/council and community;
- Applicant must demonstrate financial need.
Additional evaluation considerations may include:
- Past regional representation at LGLA events (i.e., Has it been some time since a delegate from your community or region attended an LGLA event?)
- Balance between municipal/electoral area/First Nations representation (i.e., If the last several successful applicants have been from local governments, preference may be shown to applicants from First Nations communities; or, if a number of awards have gone to municipal representatives, preference may be shown to electoral area applicants.)
Evaluation and Notification Process
Letters of application will be evaluated by the LGLA Board. LGLA Board members or staff may contact applicants to request additional or clarifying information in evaluating applications. Recipients will be notified within six weeks of the respective application deadline.
- The Cathy Watson Memorial Award is open to BC local government and First Nations elected officials only.
- Recipients must submit receipts for reimbursement of travel and related expenses up to a maximum of $1,000.
- Former recipients of the Cathy Watson Memorial Award are not eligible to re-apply.
Any questions about the Cathy Watson Memorial Award or the award application process should be directed to email@example.com.